Thursday, August 27, 2009

"Why Are You So Dressed Up?"


Today's post on College Fashion was one that is very close to my heart. That's right it was about 25 reasons why you SHOULD dress up.

Like her I despise the question "why are you so dressed up?" You think I'd be used to this question by now, since always be dressed up has been my moto since birth but no, it still gets to me. It especially gets on my nerves when it's said while I'm simply wearing a cute sun dress or jeans and a cute top. I want to respond with an "Oh, sweetie if you think this is dressed up we need to have one SERIOUS talk" but of course I'm a lady (at least I try to be hehe) so I simply say "Thank you, I just always feel better when I 'dress up.' "

You know what dressing up really does make me feel better! When you are dressed up you feel better, you stand a little straighter, walk a little sassier, and act a little more lady like. In addition to all of that you get treated better by people. As Dr Phil says "You treat people how to treat you" and if you're dressed like dirrty trash then that's how you'll be treated. Where as if you put even a little effort into your outfit you'd be treated so much better by people. Don't believe me, try it! On your next trip down the isles of Walmart leave the PJ's at home and wear a cute top, jeans, and flats instead. I bet you're shocked at all the positive attention you receive!

Miss Coco Chanel had the best advice on this subject, “I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little - if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny.”

My Great Grandma also had an awesome opinion on this..."It's better to be over dressed then under dressed"
-I use these words of wisdom before I get dressed for any event I go to. I don't know about you but I would much rather be the girl in the dress at and event were everyone is wearing jeans then it be the other way around!!!!

Dressing up is something that unfortch has been lost on my generation. One just has to look in at any college campus to see the (awful) "college girl uniform" For those of you who don't know the uniform consist of uggs, VS Pink sweat pants, and a north face. I'm cringing right now just typing out that outfit! It really makes me long for the days when a girl wouldn't even consider going out into polite society without her gloves, hat, and of course pearls.

Now, I'm not saying that I've never been guilty of going to class in Pink sweats on a day when my sinuses were driving me crazy, but in all honestly I would have been just as comfy in leggings, long white shirt and scarf or even in a cute sun dress and cardigan. It also would have taken just as much effort to put on the cute outfit as it did to put on the sweats!

I guess you could blame my feelings about always looking my best on my Southern Belle heritage, the fact that I'm a sorority girl and my Fashion education. But I don't care!!! At least I know I'll always be ready and dressed appropriately for any situation I may find myself in!

I urge every girl reading to think about this next time you're getting dressed. Please take inspiration from Miss Jackie O, Coco Chanel, and my Great Grandmother...

Wouldn't you rather look cute for your date with destiny instead of looking like a hoopie?!
♥ B

2 Love Left:

Miss. C said...

Robin would be proud!

Miss. C said...

Oh you can enter, I figured you would have the best "Fairytale" to share since you have been wearing those ruby slippers for so many years!